Saturday, March 14, 2009

Blog 7

I definitely don't think STDs equate to immorality, promiscuous behavior or low social class. STDs could fall along the lines of irresponsible but we all have been guilty of doing something irresponsible at least once in our life. It just may not always have to do with sex. A person could be in a monogamous relationship and their partner cheat with someone who had a STD. There are many different scenarios of how someone could contract a STD. It is my opinion that ignorance of STDs contribute to the transmission of the diseases and stereotyping people with a STD. It is absurd to think only poor people get STDs when people in every social class have intercourse. Everyone who has intercourse can be at risk of getting a STD. Married couples who begin the relationship without a STD are only at risk if one of the partners are unfaithful.
Also, many people contract and spread STDs without even knowing it. They may not be sleeping with more than one person at a time but their relationships could be shorted lived and move on to another person shortly thereafter.
Education is key in prevention. Providing facts to people of all ages would aid in better choices regarding sex.

2 comments:

  1. Silver,

    I agree that STD's is inpart to being irresponsible. I know when I got married, we both got tested. My husband has been married before and I had been with one other person. Of course, we both came back clean. He was shocked when I asked him to get tested. I told him that since he had been with others I wanted to know and that I would do the same since I had been with some one else. He understood then.
    Education is a key in prevention like you said. I do wish the schools would teach more about it. With teens experiencing with sex, they need to understand how important it is to have safe sex.

    Amy Morrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you too some people just enjoy being intimate and don't want any strings attached. My only concern is if they are being careful and protecting themselves and if they are....more power to them.

    ReplyDelete