Saturday, April 25, 2009

Blog 12

The stigma and shame surrounding mental illness is due to the ignorance of mental illness. People don't know much about mental illness nor how to deal with it. My grandmother had a mental illness and when I was a child she would tell me that men would break into her apartment through her pipes to steal her stun gun, toilet paper, jewelry and other odd things. I was old enough to know something was wrong with her but it intimidated me to be around her because I didn't know what to expect. My mother would tell me grandma is just a little crazy and not to listen to her. Her mental illness created tension and stress among family members because of the shared responsibility to care for her and the drama she created when grandma would tell her neighbors crazy stories about the family. The stigma and shame comes from not knowing what to do and wondering if you could inherit the disease. Also, the lack of support system for families that deal with a family member that has a mental illness. My mother is an only child so she relied on grandma's siblings and nieces for support. The health care system was not helpful at all and many attempts were made to get professional help but all failed.
Awareness programs, educational resources and financial resources would make a tremendous impact on the stigma and shame regarding mental illness.

2 comments:

  1. Silver

    Gabriela said:

    I think a big issue in the Unites States is Mental illness; also it is a subject who was not recognized very important as it would be. However, due to the problems that the health systems confront in the Unites States people who were this type of issues do not have the enough money to get a good health care. It is sad how your grandma’s health care failed many times even governments know that this type of people is the one who need more care. Also I am agreed with you on the financial impact on this stigma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear that about your grandmother. It is situations like these that make it so important for everyone to vote when funding for more programs and assistance are on the table. I agree that mental illness is grossly underemphasized and I believe that health education should spend more time discussing the different conditions that children and young adults may encounter as they enter the world on their own.

    ReplyDelete