Saturday, May 2, 2009

Blog 13

I believe it is a strong sign of strength for a woman to admit she has a problem with alcohol or drugs. It's admitting to making a mistake and needing help. Too many people have too much pride to ever admit to that. I think women carry a heavier burden than men to stay mentally strong due to their responsibilities to families, career and friends. Also, I believe many women feel if they were to admit to any faults would be the same as admitting to being incompetent. Alcohol or drug addiction can take over a person's life and for a woman to feel that and still push herself to stand up and say I need help is the bravest action she can do for herself.
If there was less of a letter "A" attached to a woman's forehead for admitting to a problem many women may be more likely to come forward with their addiction and seek help.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that it is a strength for a woman to admit if she has a problem. Most women take on more responsibility than what they can handle. I know it is hard for me to say "no" when some one asks for help. I have literally made myself sick by doing to much. On the up side of that, I didn't turn to drugs or alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. We live in a society where women often find fault in others to temporarily boost their own self esteem. It is important that women understand that addiction is not limited to alcohol and drugs. There are a number of coping mechanisms women rely on such as eating disorders and cutting. Substance abuse tends to carry a higher rate of disapproval, probably because of the legal aspects and the inability to conceal the addiction after a certain point. Remembering that we are all subject to imperfection can increase support among the female community. Admitting fault out loud is definitely a strength, and we should all support that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had some great view points and it was very well written. I agree women carry so much on their shoulders. I know for myself I have the hardest time admitting to when Im wrong. I always think I am right. I think this has to do with a womens pride. Just like you said women don't want to admit to an addiction in fear that they will be viewed as incompetent. Great job

    ReplyDelete