Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Blog #2 Economics of Women's health care in U.S.

I was reading several articles from the United Nations Press Release website. I am not amazed at how much of a low priority women's health is especially in underdevelped countries. I am amazed at how long it is taking us (people across the world) to address and correct the issue. Fortunately there are organizations like UNIFEM and UNFPA, that are driven to aid in correcting the health, poverty and violence problems against women and children.
I do believe every human being has a right to healthcare and it is not just a priviledge. Who in their right mind would think they are righteous enough to think they could delegate who should receive healthcare and who should not?
I think the present state of healthcare in the United States is unjust and crooked. In my opinion we have given too much power to the private insurance companies. When the private insurance companies can deny payment of a life saving surgery and the person does ultimately die due to not receiving the surgery there is something wrong with our process. Medicare and Medicaid are an absolute joke when it comes to reimbursement rates for services. If you could interview anyone that has a family member on Medicare and needs skilled services, nursing home or etc. they could verify the nightmare one would endure trying meet those needs.
I believe greed, money and politics are the reasons the healthcare problem has not been resolved.

3 comments:

  1. I have to totally agree with you. I work as a nurse for a home health agency and you wouldn't believe how many times we get Medicare denials on patients who need home care. Its ridiculous. Medicare has so many guidelines and stipulations that it is almost impossible at times to get our patients qualified for services. Its very sad. As nurses we love to educate to prevent progression of health disease, and Medicare denies that from happening at times. Something needs to change so that our senior citizens can get the care they need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you too. As Melissa, I am in the medical field also. It saddens me when my patient's first concern is the cost of the treatment. If they do have insurance then they want to know what is covered and what is not. I can't answer that question for them and when I tell them that I'm not sure what is covered, they then deny wanting to go to the hospital. I have to tell them that they need to go and get seen because if they get worse then the insurance company may question why they waited so long to be seen. If a patient does not have insurance, they are the hardest ones to get to go to the hospital.
    The government really needs to do something about the healthcare here in America. We, as citizens, need to push for a better system that will accomidate all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the drawbacks I know of for Medicare recipients is reimbursement for drugs. I have a friend who is on Medicare and his drug bills are over $2000 per month. His retirement is only $1500 per month. Fortunately his wife has a job with insurance and can get his medications, but that is not the case with many patients. As a home health care coder, I see nurses assessments everyday that state the patient is not taking their meds because they can't afford them. Even if they have access to a doctor to treat them, medicare patients can't afford the medicine their doctors perscribe. How insane a system is that?

    ReplyDelete