Saturday, February 28, 2009

Blog 5 Contraceptive Decision Making

I believe a person's culture, beliefs and practices absolutely influence contraceptive decision making. In my own personal experience most of my education I received regarding conception was through my school and friends. My faith of Christianity teaches no premarital sex. However, once married it is not looked down upon for using birth control methods. I have several friends that are Catholic and their religion is not for the use of any methods of birth control. I would definitely say my faith influences me the most on my practices and tradition.

I definitely believe that education and knowledge can have a positive influence on beliefs and practices. For example, teaching communities the importance of immunization for children can decrease the morbidity and mortality rates for children.
On the contrast, education and knowledge on specific topics that interfere with a community's deep rooted spiritual belief may be difficult to influence. Davis-Floyd & Georges (as cited in Njororai, n.d.) described the conception beliefs of the Trobriand tribe, where the women becomes pregnant by deceased spirits. This reincarnated spirit is referred to as the 'spirit child.' The 'spirit child' mixes with the blood of the woman's menstrual cycle which produces conception in the woman's womb. This belief eliminates the paternal lineage.
To introduce modern day knowledge about conception to the Trobriand tribe would basically tell them everything they have believed about where they came from, their lineage and their practices regarding conception is untrue.
Cultural sensitivity is essential in reaching out to any community. Cultural diversity is what makes our world so rich. However, it is imperative to share our riches of knowledge to aid everyone in equal opportunity to better health while simultaneously respecting cultural diversity.

References:

Njororai, F., (n.d.) Women's Health. Cultural values about pregnancy and childbirth.
[Summary]. Health Studies. Retrieved from http://online.twu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_id=_2_1&url=%2Fwebapps%2Fblackboard%2Fexecute%2Flauncher%3Ftype%3DCourse%26id%3D_25759_1%26url%3D

No comments:

Post a Comment